We’ve discussed celebrating Heart Health Month in February these last couple weeks, but we must also recognize and celebrate International Boost Your Self-Esteem Month.
This holiday reminds us to believe in and appreciate ourselves more despite the challenges we may be facing. Our mental health is just as important as our physical health, so we should use this month of observation to take care and learn to love ourselves.
First, let’s discuss what self-esteem means. The definition of the term, coined in the 18th century by Scottish Enlightenment thinker David Hume, is “an individuals subjective evaluation of their worth.”
Hume went on to explore this concept in his writings, providing us with much of the language that became the groundwork for self-improvment philosophy: “It is important to value and think well of oneself because it serves a motivational function that enables people to explore their full potential.”
Here are 3 ways to observe International Boost Your Self-Esteem Month.
1. Remember your past accomplishments. This is a great period to remind yourself of the amazing things you’ve done, no matter how little they seem. Did you start your day with low energy, but you still finished off your to-do list? Did you make time to exercise instead of sitting on the couch? Positive self-reflection is a core tenet of improving your self-esteem.
2. Accept and give compliments. Being humble is considered a virtue in our society, but there’s nothing wrong with accepting compliments. Make sure that when someone makes the effort to compliment you, whether it’s about a task you accomplished or the clothes you’re wearing, accept the compliment and understand that they mean it.
3. Build habits that will promote self-improvement. Whether it’s getting into a fitness routine, learning a new skill, or trying something new, you’re making strides towards the best version of yourself.
Next, let’s go over 4 facts about self-esteem that might surprise you.
4. A low self-esteem can affect others negatively, as you might lash out unproductively.
Lastly, let’s highlight reasons why International Boost Your Self-Esteem Month is important.
1. It increases mutual support. We all need encouragement at different points when we are feeling down and low. This month promotes an avenue for everyone to get and give this much needed support.
2. It unites us for the common good. This ultimately brings out the best in us as people. Together, we can make society a supportive and healthy place.
3. It promotes health and well being. When self-esteem levels are high, we become healthier, smarter, and more productive. By becoming healthier versions of ourselves, we’re able to put more good back into the world.
Book a Call