Let’s talk about walking.
In today’s blog, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about walking and all the wonderful benefits that come with getting those steps in daily. We’ll also go over the amount of walking that doctors recommend you do.
Know the benefits
Physical activity doesn’t need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life.
Walking helps you:
- Maintain a healthy weight and lose body fat.
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
- Improve cardiovascular fitness.
- Strengthen your bones and muscles.
- Improve muscular endurance.
- Increase overall energy levels.
- Improve your mood, cognition, memory, and sleep.
- Improve your balance and coordination.
- Strengthen your immune system.
- Reduce stress and tension.
How much should I walk daily to get these benefits?
With walking, it’s all about consistency. Most experts will advise that walking at least 30 minutes to 1 hour a day is best. Others will say that over the entire day, getting anywhere from 8 thousand steps or more is optimal.
What we all can agree upon is that the absolute best recipe for success with walking is consistency. Make daily walking a priority to help avoid preventable health issues!
We would also like to recognize that the first Wednesday in April is National Walking Day and it encourages Americans of all ages to get out and move their legs and get the heart pumping. The American Heart Association sponsors this day to remind people about the health benefits of taking a daily walk.
That’s it for today! Thanks for stepping by, and please stay tuned for next week as we discuss National Stress Awareness Month.
Book a Call